Friday 29 July 2011

Still no sunshine but been in garden!

Had a faaaaaantastic time at the Tall Ships despite the weather.   Thanks to all those who worked hard behind the scenes and in front of house to put on a brilliant weekend.   There are too many to thank individually or as groups but you are all Heros, and I even mean those who were perhaps working, caring, office or whatever - every one plays a part.

On Monday we went to the Knab and watched the Ships leaving which was very sad.   The wind brought a tear to my eye!    On Tuesday we went for a drive to Sumburgh Head to see the Puffins and to Scatness.  Scatness is amazing - I had not visited before and had not realised how big it is. I had read the articles in the Shetland Times but wow.  At Sumburgh Head the Swifts were flying over us catching flys, Wheatears diving around feeding young and the Puffins as ever so cute.  Lots of Maalies still fledging.  They seem to be the only success this year as other species, Puffins, Arctic Terns and even Herring Gulls not having a good season chick wise.     The Herring Gulls that usually breed in the hill and in the rooftops opposite my office only one baby has survived.   Mind you I think that was the one that was pleepsing ( Their call for those of you who dont know it) on the top of my roof all day yesterday!

On Wednesday I cut back my big New Zealand/Australian Daisy as it had rust/spores on it - had to dump and not compost.   Did a little bit of weeding for half an hour yesterday and today cut grass and again weeding and tidying.   I have so far 6 tomatoes in the greenhouse but plenty of flowers and keeping my fingers crossed for more tomatoes.

Peas growing at last - garlic, onions, potatoes and carrots looking good.   By September I will start harvesting and that is when the proof is in the pudding so to speak.  I dont mind actually but it is always rewarding when you have a good crop.   Ate 2 strawberries too!

Snowy is getting better - few scabs - keeps itching them - was in another fight today with a different cat in his own territory.  Victor keeps calling him Buster - I think he is still a Snowy!.

Some Photos from the past week

 The Big TV Truck - wow - Victor was enamoured
 Smirk - Pete Stack & The Rayburns - what an ending to a perfect Tall Ships - well nearly if the weather had been a bit warmer.
 The Gloria - what a display as they left the harbour
 Me sitting on the Knab watching the ships - still wrapped up!
 Lots of Tall Ships getting ready to go to Stavanger
 Puffins
 Just popped out!
 Scatness
 Snowy has decided that the Bird Bath - which does not hold water anymore is a nice place to sit.  At the right is where the big daisy is  - which I have had to cut back.
3 of my tomatoes!
 A red geum, I also have an orange one which flowers earlier.
 Campanula - it spreads rapidly
 Second flourish of Bergenia
A lovely little dianthus /carnation.

Its back to work on Monday.  Victor had a call out for today and agreed to work all weekend.  Hopefully be nice tomorrow to get in to the garden.  I have lots to cut back and weeding to do.  Bought some more alpines today!  I tend to just stick them in pots and not in grit or stone.   I have about 4 pots like this so looking to set aside an area in which I make a proper alpine area next year - might even get a trough and do it that way. 

The Tall Ships are already in Stavanger and they were having their Crew Parade today - it seems to have gone past too quickly!

Time to go to bed!
Night Elaine xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment